Victory Memorial Driveway Committee Records
Description of Contents
The collection consists of planning materials for the Victory Memorial Drive Dedication ceremony on June 11, 1921, including correspondence to and from the chair of the Victory Memorial Driveway Committee, minutes of committee meetings, documents relating to the Loring Tree Trust, event programs, oversize maps, and an artificial flower bouquet given to Gold Star mothers.
- Victory Memorial Driveway Committee (Minneapolis, Minn.) (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
In 1918, the Minneapolis Board of Park Commissioners decided to redesign Glenwood-Camden Parkway to permit the planting of trees memorializing Hennepin County lives lost in World War I. The sale of bonds in 1920 provided the necessary financing for construction and paving, which was completed in 1921. A trust fund was presented to the Board by the Hon. C.M. Loring to cover the costs of caring for the trees. Hundreds of new elm trees were planted along Glenwood-Camden Parkway from Lowry Ave. North to Crystal Lake Road, north to 45th and Xerxes and east to Camden Park.
The Victory Memorial Drive Committee, chaired by David L. Sutherland, organized a grand dedication ceremony for the new roadway. On June 11, 1921, more than 30,000 people, including many distinguished military personnel, attended the Victory Memorial Drive Dedication ceremony.
1.42 Linear Feet (2 boxes, 1 oversize folder)
Language of Materials
The collection includes 4 series: General, Correspondence, Realia, and Oversize Materials. Within series, materials are arranged alphabetically by folder. Outgoing and incoming correspondence are arranged together by the last name or organization of the correspondent.
Oversize maps and plans were flattened, encapsulated, and rehoused in an oversize folder in summer 2018. Processing of the collection was finished by Jenna Jacobs in August 2019.
- Glenwood-Camden Parkway (Minneapolis, Minn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board
- Parkways -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Victory Memorial Parkway (Minneapolis, Minn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- War memorials -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Monuments -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Registers of dead -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Victory Memorial Driveway Committee Records
- Unknown and Jenna Jacobs
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.