Hennepin County War Records Committee Records
Description of Contents
Collection includes correspondence relating to soldier nominations and other War Records Committee correpondence. There is also correspondence about soldiers who died after the war. Included are materials from the dedication of the parkway, regrets from invitees and pamphlets of the Gold Star roster.
Reports include War Records Committee reports, reports from high schools and teachers.
- 1919 - 1933
- Hennepin County War Records Committee (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
Collection consists of research done by Victory Memorial Drive War Committee to compile a Gold Star Roster of Hennepin County servicemen who died as a result of service in World War I. The Committee was also referred to as the Hennepin County War Records Committee. The roster was offically referred to as the Gold Star Roll of Hennepin County. The Committee was located at 318 Court House, Minneapolis, Minnesota. George E. Leach was the Chairman. Cecil W. Shirk was the Secretary. Gratia Countryman was also on the War Records Committee.
Collection includes correspondence and reports detailing the attempts of the Committee to compile a comprehensive list of servicemen connected to Hennepin County who died as a result of service in World War I. Efforts by the committee to ensure that the Gold Star Roster was comprehensive included at least one notice in the local newspaper, a canvass of every house in Minneapolis organized by the Women’s Community Council, and a survey all school districts in Hennepin County. Collection also includes correspondence and reports relating to Committee’s attempt to locate Service Records of Gold Star Roster candidates and determine eligibility of each candidate for membership on Gold Star Roster.
Members of the Gold Star Roster had a bronze marker placed on the Victory Memorial Drive. The dedication of Victory Memorial Drive was a major event in Minneapolis and Hennepin County’s history.
1.08 Linear Feet (5 boxes, 1 folder)
Language of Materials
- Glenwood-Camden Parkway (Minneapolis, Minn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Victory Memorial Parkway (Minneapolis, Minn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- War memorials -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Monuments -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Registers of dead -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1914-1918 -- War work -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County. Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Hennepin County War Records Committee Records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.