Skip to main content

Twentieth Century Club Programs and Newspaper Clippings

 Collection
Identifier: M/A 0142

Description of Contents

One box. Collection consists of newspaper clippings about the Twentieth Century Club and the club’s annual programs spanning 1917-1956.

Dates

  • 1917 - 1956

Creator

Access Restrictions

The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.

History

The Twentieth Century Club was organized on February 15, 1900 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Its original name was the Young Matron’s Club. The Club’s named changed to Twentieth Century Club in 1916. The club’s original purpose was “child study and home economics”, but was redefined as “the advancement of social, benevolent and educational activities”.

The club’s charter members included Mrs. J.B. Bren, Mrs. F. Watson, Mrs. F.L. Jarvis Mrs. William Folsom.

Club membership was limited 40 women. Meetings were held twice a month from September through May. Members were held at the home of one of the members. Meetings frequently featured music and lectures. The club was also active in civic activities including the Red Cross and local school programs.

Extent

0.21 Linear Feet (1 box)

Language of Materials

English

Title
Twentieth Century Club Programs and Newspaper Clippings
Status
Completed
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.
612-543-8200