Collection on the Travelers' Club
Description of Contents
One box. Collection consists of the club’s annual programs spanning 1896-1950, the club’s constitution and bylaws, the review questions, and a scrapbook containing photos, invitations, and other mementos.
- 1896 - 1950
- Travelers' Club (Minneapolis, Minn.) (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
The Travelers' Club was organized in 1896. Its purpose was "the study of countries, cities and objects of interest" and to "obtain culture and knowledge which are usually derived from travel." The Club motto was a quote from Samuel Johnson: "He who from travel would bring home knowledge, must take knowledge with him." Charter Members included Mrs. Charles L. (Ella Henderson) Bartholomew and Mrs. George (Cora McDuffee) Beach. Meetings were held at the Public Library in Minneapolis on alternate Fridays from September until April. Membership was limited to 25 women.
0.42 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
- Clubs -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- International travel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Travel -- Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis -- Societies and clubs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Collection on the Travelers' Club
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.