Collection on Minneapolis Moline Power Implement Company
Description of Contents
- 1915 - 2001
- Majority of material found within 1915 - 1979
- Minneapolis-Moline Company (Organization)
Minneapolis Moline played a large role globally. The company led in technological innovation and production for farm equipment on an international scale. The company especially prospered during the 1930s-1940s, and became one of the largest farm equipment manufacturers in the world.
At the outbreak of World War II, Minneapolis Moline also took a major role in the war effort. In 1940, the company created the “Jeep,” which saw significant use by the U.S. Army. During the same year, the company opened a new factory in Hopkins, Minnesota, and manufactured massive amounts of munitions and military equipment to both the U.S. Army and U.S. Navy., which continued through the duration of the war.
Minneapolis Moline continued to do well into the 1950s, especially with the creation of a number of highly popular harvester machines. Despite this success, however, the profitability and demand for mass produced farm equipment began to wane into the l960s. In 1962, the White Motor Company of Lansing, Michigan merged with Minneapolis Moline, and set an agenda of manufacturing trucks instead of farm equipment. Much of the manufacturing capital of the company became obsolete or unneeded with this move, and the White Motor Company failed to find subtenants to fill this void. This brought sudden decline to the company as a whole. In 1972, the Minneapolis plant closed and the following year torn down, ending the Minneapolis Moline legacy.
7.1 Linear Feet (10 boxes)
Language of Materials
- Agricultural implements. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Agricultural machinery industry. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Farm equipment Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minneapolis-Moline Power Implement Company
- Tractor industry -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Collection on Minneapolis Moline Power Implement Company
- Bailey Diers
- April 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.