Skip to main content

Collection on the Tourist Club

 Collection
Identifier: M/A 0138

Description of Contents

One box. Collection consists of newspaper clippings, a biography of club founder, Mrs. Cyrus W. Wells, two record books detailing club travels and studies, and annual programs and other miscellaneous programs spanning 1895-1967.

Dates

  • 1895 - 1967

Creator

Access Restrictions

The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.

History

The Tourist Club was formed on November 23, 1891 at the home of the founder, Mrs. Cyrus W. (Martha) Wells. Charter members included Mrs. C.A. Bucknam, Mrs. J.C. Buchanan and Mrs. Edwin S. Slater. The object of the club was to prepare for intelligent travel, the study plan to embrace all that would interest a broadminded tourist, including history, art music and description. The club motto was “What we know is the measure of what we see.” The club met at the Public Library in Minneapolis until about 1923 when their meeting place was travelled to the Minneapolis Institute of Art and finally the Walker Art Gallery and the YWCA. The membership was 40 women.

Extent

0.42 Linear Feet (1 box)

Language of Materials

English

Title
Collection on the Tourist Club
Status
Completed
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.
612-543-8200