Collection on the Thursday Musical
Description of Contents
Newspaper clippings (1920s through 1993), photos, minutes books (1893-1966), directories (1900-1993: incomplete), programs (1892-1960s), yearbooks (1942-1956), and press clippings (1900-1964). Also included are several oversize photos in PBXXII.
- 1892 - 1993
- Thursday Musical (Minneapolis, Minn.) (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
Founded on November 10, 1892 by 13 young musicians as the Lorelei Club with Laura C. Dennis Williams (neé Dennis) as president. The name was used for only one meeting; later, the organization was renamed as the Ladies Thursday Musicale with 16 more new members signing the constitution. Its purpose was, "to advance the interests and promote the culture of musical art in the city of Minneapolis and for the mutual improvement of its members" by providing a venue for local talent, including prominent musicians and opera singers.
6.29 Linear Feet (24 boxes, several volumes)
Language of Materials
- Music -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Music -- Societies. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis -- Singers. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis -- Societies and clubs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Collection on the Thursday Musical
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.