Skip to main content

Business and Professional Women's Club of Minneapolis Records

 Collection
Identifier: M/A 0098

Description of Contents

This extensive collections covers the years 1919 to 1986. It includes annual meetings, articles of incorporations, biographies on board members, board meeting minutes (1942-1986), by-laws, special programs and campaigns including equal rights amendment, convention materials, correspondence (1934-1985), membership, treasure's reports, and scrapbooks (1920, 1965-1984).

The collection includes: Scrapbook of clippings, 1920, and six scrapbooks of miscellany, 1956 to 1984. Treasurer's Ledgers, June 1, 1959 to May 2, 1968; and June 1, 1968 to January 21, 1981, and sixty-nine folders covering: annual meetings, 1919 to 1986; board meetings, 1942-1986; business meetings, 1934 to 1986; and history, 1919 to 1985.

Boxes 6 and 7 consists of minute and record books from the first annual meeting on October 4, 1920 through 1934. Also newspaper clippings from 1919 through 1926 (one folder).

Dates

  • 1919 - 1986

Creator

Access Restrictions

The collection is available for use during Special Collection’s open public hours and may be used only within the department.

History

Minneapolis Business and Professional Women's Club was organized June 16, 1919 as Business Women's Club of Minneapolis. The organization dinner was held at Dayton's Tea Room. Six hundred women were at the dinner, augmented by two hundred more at the business meeting following the dinner. On April 7, 1941, the name of the club was changed to Business and Professional Women's Club of Minneapolis, Inc. The purpose of the club was "to strengthen friendly and business relations of its members." Membership was "open to women who are actively engaged or employed in business or a profession. The membership in this club shall be classified as founder, charter, active, special, and honorary." Gratia Alta Countryman, chief librarian of Minneapolis, was the club's first president. The first club magazine, Junior Partner came out on December 15, 1920. On February 14, 1921, the name of the periodical was changed to Minneapolis Business Woman.

Extent

4.42 Linear Feet (7 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Related Materials

Photos, 1970-1983: See SCMC uncataloged photos Clubs and Organizations: Business & Professional Women’s Club of Minneapolis.

Periodicals:Junior Partner
Title
Business and Professional Women's Club of Minneapolis Records
Status
Completed
Author
Ian Stade
Date
July 2008
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.
612-543-8200