Collection on the Minnehikers
Description of Contents
The collection consists of handbooks, directories, annual banquet information, newspaper clippins, assorted administrative documents, and photographs documenting the Minnehikers from the 1920s to the 1980s. The bulk of the material documents the 1920s and 1930s. Slides taken by Bernice Catlin date from the 1960s to 1980s.
- 1919 - 2010
- Catlin, Bernice (Person)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
The Minnehikers or the Minneapolis Municipal Hiking Club was founded in December of 1919, by Mr. Theodore Wirth the Superintendent of Parks. The club was created as an informal walking club whose main purpose was to acquaint people with the parks and trails in Minneapolis. The hiking area soon extended to the surrounding town and counties.
The first president of the club was Mr. Ross Gordon. The first official officers of the club included Mr. Donald M. Patterson, Mr. Henry Sagmoen, Edna Eckstrom, Mr. George Shekels, Mr. Carl M. Johnson, Ella Knapp, Peggy Farver, Madelyn Woehing, Mrs. Aimee Meldahl, Mr. Al. Mangney, Dorothea Nelson and Mr. Ray Crawford.
In 1925, the Minnehikers began to publish a monthly newsletter. Their mailing list soon surpassed their budget and they were forced to charge fifty cents per year for the publication. However, free copies of the newsletter were still available at the hikes and at their office. In 1926, the club decided to charge a yearly fee of two dollars per member. In 2010, the club charged a membership fee of fifteen dollars per year. The club supplemented its income by holding banquets and other entertainment events.
The Minnehikers continued to be an active walking club within Minnesota until 2010. They sponsored two or three hikes per week within Minneapolis. Destination hikes were also an important part of the club--hiking trips were planned at various scenic locations throughout the United States and Canada.
2.965 Linear Feet (4 boxes, 1 sleeve of negatives)
Language of Materials
This collection was compiled by library staff from various sources. The slides were donated by Joyce Catlin, niece of Bernice Catlin, in 2015. Lantha L. Ballard's photo album was donated by her family in 2012. Board Manuals and 32 on 302 in 1935 were transferred from the Minnesota Historical Society in July 2015. Harvey and Katherine Kispert materials were donated by the couple's daughter, Janet Kispert-White, in July 2019 as accession 2019.28.
This collection was reprocessed by Jenna Jacobs in August 2019. Original processing date unknown.
- Collection on the Minnehikers
- Unknown, Revised by Jenna Jacobs
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.