Collection on the Apollo Club
Description of Contents
Four boxes of materials including newspaper clippings (1900-1984), rosters and directories, a history written in the 1920s, 26 folders of typed reviews from the Minneapolis Tribune and the Minneapolis Journal from 1920 to 1943, programs from performances covering nearly a century (1896-1985), vinyl records and a group photo from 1949.
- 1900 - 1985
- Apollo Club of Minneapolis (Minneapolis, Minn.) (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
The history of the Apollo Club dates back to the spring of 1895 when the first steps were taken toward the formation of a male chorus. It was formally organized on September 23, 1895. Emil Oberhoffer was the first conductor and quickly established a very high standard of choral singing for the group. The Club gave its first public performance on April 13, 1896 at the Lyceum Theatre in Minneapolis. It was customary for the chorus to present three regular concerts every season. Other conductors and accompanists have included Henry S. Woodruff, Theodore Bergman, Elsie Wolf Campbell, William Rhys-Herbert, William MacPhail, James S. Allen, and Roger Hoel. From its inception, the club adopted a policy of bringing distinguished artists to Minneapolis.
1.67 Linear Feet (4 boxes)
Language of Materials
- Choral music -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis. Subject Source: Local sources
- Men's choral societies -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis. Subject Source: Local sources
- Collection on the Apollo Club
- Marla Siegler, revised by Ian Stade
- September 2008
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.