Monday Club Programs and Newspaper Clippings
Description of Contents
The collection consists of 25 annual programs (some duplicates) ranging from 1893-1894 to 1957-1958. Most fall between 1893 and 1933. There are also two newspaper clippings from December 1932 on the 50th anniversary celebration for the club.
- 1893 - 1957
- Majority of material found within 1893 - 1933
- Monday Club (Minneapolis, Minn.) (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
The Monday Club was founded in 1882 by Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Von Schlegell as a club for discussing social, historical, and literary topics. Among its founding members were Mrs. Daniel Fish, Mrs. Cyrus W. (Martha) Wells, and Mrs. H. C. Carlyle. Many other prominent early citizens of Minneapolis participated in the club as well.
The club met biweekly (on Mondays) from roughly October through April of each year. Each year's program featured a different theme and each meeting explored a different topic related to that theme through lectures and presentations. They were also known for holding annual banquets on or near New Year's Eve.
0.21 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
- Clubs -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Wells, Martha C.
- Women -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis -- Societies and clubs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Monday Club Programs and Newspaper Clippings
- Nick Steffel
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.