Collection on the Minnesota Civil Liberties Union
Description of Contents
This collection includes materials relating to the activities of the Minnesota Civil Liberties Union between 1962 and 1997. These materials consist mostly of official documents from the organization, including incorporation papers, meeting minutes, financial statements, case reports, and press releases. In addition, there are newspaper clippings about the organization dated between 1962 and 1997.
- 1962 - 1997
- Minnesota Civil Liberties Union (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
The Minnesota Civil Liberties Union was founded in 1952 with the stated goal of protecting the civil liberties of Minnesotans through legislation, education, and political lobbying. The group took the cases of people with both popular and unpopular views. However, it was not the views of their clients that were seen as important, but the possible violation of their legal rights. They incorporated in August 1967.
This collection deals with material from 1962 until 1997. During which time the Minnesota Civil Liberties Union argued cases relating to: opposition to the draft during the Vietnam War, denial of legal counsel to accused criminals, defending the rights of police officers, defending the rights of the people to receive information, and the separation of church and state. These cases were taken up against organizations, including the University of Minnesota, various cities and school boards in Minnesota, and the Department of Immigration.
0.42 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
- Minneapolis (Minn.) -- Politics and government Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minneapolis (Minn.) -- Politics and government -- Citizen participation. Subject Source: Local sources
- Minneapolis (Minn.) -- Race relations. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minnesota -- Politics and government Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public welfare -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public welfare. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Collection on the Minnesota Civil Liberties Union
- Benjamin C. Skinner
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.