J. Victor Bergquist Musical Scores
Description of Contents
- 1877 - 1935
- Bergquist, J. Victor (John Victor) (Person)
In 1900 Bergquist went to Berlin for advanced training and moved to Paris in 1902 for additional study. Bergquist returned to Minneapolis in 1903 and reassumed his post as organist at Augustana Lutheran Church. In addition, Bergquist joined Gustavus Adolphus College as principal of the piano department, directed the male chorus of United Church Seminary and served as organist of the Apollo Club. While at Augustana Lutheran Church, Bergquist produced a major oratorio each year. His oratorio Golgotha was performed by a chorus of 200 and the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra in 1906.
In 1912, Bergquist left Minneapolis to head up the Music Conservatory at Augustana College, Rock Island, Illinois. Bergquist and Dr. E.W. Olson received a commission to produce a musical work for 1917, the 400th anniversary of the Lutheran Reformation. Their Reformation Cantata was performed at Rock Island, Illinois
Returning to Minneapolis in 1918, Bergquist assumed multiple musical roles including teaching organ, piano and composition at the MacPhail School, serving as Assistant Supervisor of Music in the Minneapolis Public Schools and as Dean of the Minnesota Chapter of the American Guild of Organists. From 1922-1929, Bergquist was the organist and choir director of Central Lutheran Church.
Bergquist composed more than 30 works, including sacred music, piano, organ, and choral music. He was particularly dedicated to church music and music for youth.
Married to Emilia Elvira Johnson in 1905, Bergquist had four children.
Source: J. Victor Bergquist, Finding Joy in Music, by Robert Tallant Laudon, (Professor Emeritus of Musicology, University of Minnesota), 2002.
1.04 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
General Collection Resources
- Zgr 499b1 (Putnam Classification - Adult Reference Music Score)
- Zgr 409b2 (Putnam Classification) (Adult Reference Music Score)
- Choral conductors -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Composers -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Music -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Musicals. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Organists -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- J. Victor Bergquist Musical Scores
- Gail A. Wolfson
- May 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.