Intercity Bridge (Ford Parkway Bridge) Photo Album
Description of Contents
Consists of 53 black and white photos with captions and date, though not chronologically arranged. Also includes photos of the Godfrey Road Viaduct construction.
- 1925 - 1926
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
The Intercity Bridge, also known as the Ford Parkway Bridge or the 46th St. Bridge, was constructed in 1925-27 as a joint project of the cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul. The construction cost of $1,324,000 was split between the two cities. The bridge is 1,524 feet long and constructed of reinforced concrete in an open-spandrel, two-rib continuous arch. It was originally constructed to improve access from Minneapolis to the Ford Motor Company's Twin Cities Assembly Plant in St. Paul.
The bridge is one of the largest reinforced concrete bridges in Minnesota and was also notable as a major work of the prominent Norwegian-American engineer, Martin Sigvart Grytbak. It was redecked and widened in 1972-73 and underwent further repairs in 2004. The bridge was listed with the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
0.13 Linear Feet (1 photo album)
Language of Materials
Gift of Joyce Paul (unknown date), accession 2012.13.
Title page reads:
"Mississippi River Bridge Built by St. Paul and Minneapolis G.M. Shepard, City Engineer N.W. Elsberg, City Engineer M.S. Grytback, Bridge Engineer
Methods and Progress of Construction as shown by photos
C.R. Hansen, Resident Engineer
- Intercity Bridge (Ford Parkway Bridge) Photo Album
- Edward W. Hathaway
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.