Collection on John H. Stevens
Description of Contents
The collection consists of handwritten letters written by Stevens to members of his family, transcriptions of those letters, a transcribed speech delivered by Stevens to the Minneapolis Lyceum about the early history of Hennepin County, and clippings containing biographical information.
- Creation: 1844 - 1858
The collection is available for use in Special Collections at Minneapolis Central Library during the department's open hours.
John Harrington Stevens (1820–1900) was the first non-Native resident on the west side of the Mississippi River in present-day Minneapolis. He operated a ferry across the river before the construction of the first Hennepin Avenue Bridge and subsequently became a colonel in the U.S. Army. He later served in the Minnesota Legislature.
Stevens Square Park is named after him, and his wood frame home (moved from its original location at the current site of the Federal Reserve building) is now a museum in Minnehaha Park.
0.21 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
The letters were donated to the library by Louise Williams, Stevens' grand-niece, in 1955. The transcribed letters were presumably created at the library's request. Accession 2014.01.
- Collection on John H. Stevens
- Stewart Van Cleve
- January 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.