Skip to main content

Collection on the Weisman Art Museum

Identifier: M/A 0299

Description of Contents

This collection consists of two boxes containing newspaper and magazine clippings, brochures, newsletters, fundraising materials, and press releases relating to the Weisman Art Museum. The material is arranged chronologically in two parts: under the museum's current name (the Weisman Art Museum) and its older name (the University Art Gallery). Materials on the University Gallery and University Art Museum are filed with the earlier material.


  • 1936 - 2011


Access Restrictions

The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.


The University Art Gallery was opened in 1933 in the Northrup Memorial Auditorium. Then-University president Lotus Coffman said, "there is a need for new values to sustain the morale of individuals in the days ahead. The arts are a source for such values and I want this university to play a leading part in instilling them." The gallery was initially called the "Little Gallery". The museum's first curator was Hudson D. Walker. When Walker died, his collection of American art from the first half of the twentieth century that he shared with his wife, Ione, was donated to the museum.

The name of this gallery changed to the University Gallery, and then the University Art Museum. Eventually it was dubbed the Frederick R. Weisman Art Museum, after a major contribution from the Minneapolis native, entrepreneur, and noted philanthropist.

The museum's current building, a silvery futuristic-looking structure, was designed by architect Frank Gehry. The building opened in 1993.

The museum is particularly noted for its American collection including multiple works by Marsden Hartley, Alfred Maurer, and Charles Biederman, as well as its collection of ceramics. The museum's mission is to "create art experiences that spark discovery, critical thinking, and transformation, linking the University and the community."

As of 1993, the museum was funded entirely from private sources.


2 boxes (2 boxes)

Language of Materials


Collection on the Weisman Art Museum
Irene Hamlin
July 2014
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository

Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.