Collection on the Minnesota Federation of Women's Clubs
Description of Contents
The collection consists of one box of material related to the Minnesota Federation of Women's Clubs. The material includes newspaper clippings, historical summaries, programs, and newsletters. The collection also contains several files of material pertaining to radio programs sponsored by the Federation in the early 1940s, including "World Adventure Club," "Pioneer Women of Minnesota," and "General Federation of Women's Clubs Golden Jubilee Roll Call."
- 1900 - 1962
- Minnesota Federation of Women's Clubs (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
The Minnesota Federation of Women's Clubs (M.F.W.C.) was founded on April 25, 1895. Initially, fifteen clubs from around the state comprised the M.F.W.C. By the 1940s, the Federation had grown to include 40,000 members and 500 clubs. The M.F.W.C. was divided into ten smaller district branches, corresponding to the congressional districts of Minnesota. Members participated in social service, public health, legislation, community service, industrial, and conservation work. They lobbied for better forestry laws, worked to establish vocational schools for boys and girls, and started rural libraries across the state. Notable members included Margaret Evans Huntington of Northfield, Minnesota (the M.F.W.C.'s first president) and Alice Ames Winter (also known as Mrs. Thomas G. Winter, president of the General Federation of Women's Clubs from 1921-1924).
0.42 Linear Feet (1 box, 1 oversize)
Language of Materials
- Palmer, Evelyn
- Radio programs -- Minnesota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women -- Minnesota -- Societies and clubs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women civic leaders Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women in charitable work -- Minnesota. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women in community organization -- Minnesota. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Collection on the Minnesota Federation of Women's Clubs
- Carissa Hansen
- March 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.