Skip to main content

Collection on the Minnesota Federation of Women's Clubs, Fifth District

 Collection
Identifier: M/A 0113

Description of Contents

The collection consists of five boxes of material related to the Fifth Distrct of the Minnesota Federation of Women's Clubs. Box 1 contains newspaper clippings from 1921-1964 with the bulk of the clippings dating from the 1940s. Box 2 contains comprehensive early histories of the Fifth Distrct and a small amount of material related to various events and conventions. Boxes 2-5 contain scrapbooks from the 1920s-1940s and District directories from 1904-1967. The scrapbooks, primarily compiled by District Historian Mabel Crinkley, contain newspaper clippings, photographs, correspondence, and other club material.

Dates

  • 1904 - 1967

Creator

Access Restrictions

The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.

History

The Fifth District of the Minnesota Federation of Women's Clubs (M.F.W.C.) was organized in 1897. The organization evolved from the Woman's Council in Minneapolis, which was established in 1886. The Fifth District became the arm of the larger M.F.W.C. that included Minneapolis, and it was the first district in Minnesota to officially federate. Beginning in the late 19th century, personal growth and education were considered by some to be of the utmost importance for women's advancement and this led to the creation of women's clubs. By the 1920s, the Fifth District included over 100 individual clubs, most of which were study clubs. Charity, civic work, education, and suffrage were among the endeavors of the Fifth District. They sent petitions to city council seeking improved water supply, tried to abolish forms of gambling in the city, and supported education and local organizations for boys and girls. Aside from the meetings of individual clubs, the Fifth District held District meetings throughout Minneapolis in hotels, churches, libraries, and homes of various members. Many members were also involved at the state and national levels of the Federation of Women's Clubs and attended larger conventions around the country. Notable members include Mrs. T. B. Walker, Martha C. Wells (also known as Mrs. Cyrus W. Wells, District president 1907-1909, founding member of the M.F.W.C., and M.F.W.C. historian), Mrs. Henry F. Brown (first president of the Fifth District 1897-1899), Emma S. Coan (also known as Mrs. J. P. Coan, Fifth District historian from 1925-1937), and Mabel Crinkley (also known as Mrs. M. A. Crinkley, Fifth District historian after Coan's death).

Extent

2.08 Linear Feet (5 boxes, 1 oversize)

Language of Materials

English

Title
Collection on the Minnesota Federation of Women's Clubs, Fifth District
Status
Completed
Author
Carissa Hansen
Date
March 2016
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.
612-543-8200