John F. Glanton Photographic Negatives
Description of Contents
834 Black & White 4x5 negatives taken in the late 1940s by Minneapolis photographer John Glanton. Includes scenes from both Minneapolis and St. Paul.
- 1945 - 1950
- Glanton, John F. (Person)
The physical collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours. Photographs from this collection are available in the John F. Glanton Collection in the Hennepin County Library Digital Collections.
Photographs are still under copyright. Commercial use must be granted by the children of John Glanton. Contact Special Collections staff for referral information.
After military service in WWII, John F. Glanton (1923-2004) worked for a few years as a professional photographer, photographing dozens of family gatherings, social events, musical performances, church functions, sporting events, and individual portraits in the African-American communities of Minneapolis and St. Paul. Some of his photographs were reprinted in the Minneapolis Spokesman and the St. Paul Recorder newspapers. After marriage and starting a family, Glanton received training at the Dunwood Institute and began a career as a draftsman and civil engineer with the City of Minneapolis, later starting his own civil engineering business.
2 Linear Feet (5 boxes)
Language of Materials
Collection donated to the Library by Anthony Scott in December 2015. Formal donation papers signed by Glanton's daughter, Joan Glanton Howard, in 2016. Accession 2016.03.
Many of the negatives suffered considerable damage over the years, which can be seen in the images in this collection. Extensive cleaning efforts were largely successful, but about 20 images were discarded, having suffered irrepairable damage.
- African Americans -- Social conditions Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bars (Drinking establishments) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Churches -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Golf -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Restaurants -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis. Subject Source: Local sources
- Weddings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- John F. Glanton Photographic Negatives
- Edward W. Hathaway
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.