Bloomington Library Records
Description of Contents
This collection contains fact sheets, clippings, building information, correspondence, plans, reports, surveys, maps, and other administrative records documenting the history of Bloomington Library from 1922 to 1973 and the Bloomington Library Study Committee and Bloomington Library Commission to 1991. The collection contains three series: 9801 Nicollet Ave. S (1962) and Earlier, Bloomington Library Study Committee, and Bloomington Library Commission. The first series documents the history of the Bloomington Library until its closure in 1973. The later two series document the work of of committees and commissions created by the City of Bloomington and charged with planning for the future of Hennepin County Library growth within Bloomington.
- Hennepin County Library (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
Hennepin County Library service in Bloomington began in 1929. By the 1950s, Hennepin County Library maintained collections in the Bloomington High School building in cooperation with the local school district. In 1959, the school and county library collections were separated, and on January 2, 1962, the Bloomington Library moved into its first permanent structure, a refurbished supermarket at 98th Street and Nicollet Avenue.
In 1960, the Bloomington City Council created the Library Study Commission to determine the future of library service in the city. This commission was one of several city-led projects to plan the growth and structure of Bloomington's libraries. The Library Study Committee, formed in 1966, issued a final report in 1967 calling for the construction of four Bloomington branch libraries by 1980 with a possible growth to six locations. From the mid-1970s, the Bloomington Library Commission continued the work of the planning for Bloomington's libraries.
Penn Lake and Oxboro libraries opened in Bloomington in 1970 and 1975, respectively. Planning began for Bloomington West library, but it was never built. Bloomington Library closed in 1973.
0.42 Linear Feet (1 archival box)
Language of Materials
Fact sheets, newspaper clippings, building information, correspondence and other administrative records documenting the history and operations of Bloomington Library in Bloomington, Minnesota, from 1922 to 1973. Bloomington Library was part of the Hennepin County Library. The collection also includes records related to the Bloomington Library Study Committee and the Bloomington Library Commission dating as late as 1991.
Portions of this collection (accession 2018.16) were previously managed by Hennepin County Library Officially Withdrawn, an organization for retired and former staff of Hennepin County Library and Minneapolis Public Library.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection contains materials transferred to the archives by Hennepin County Library administration in 2017 as accession 2018.38 and in 2018 as accession 2018.16.
This collection was processed by Jenna Jacobs from August to September 2018.
- Bloomington (Minn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hennepin County Library. Bloomington Library
- Libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bloomington Library Records
- Jenna Jacobs
- November 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.