Edina Library Records
Description of Contents
This collection contains fact sheets, brochures, building information, newspaper clippings, correspondence, plans, maps, and other administrative records documenting the history of Edina Library from 1922 to 2017. Bulk of the collection is from 1950s-200s.
- Creation: 1922 - 2012
- Hennepin County Library (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections at Minneapolis Central Library during the department's open hours.
Edina Library was first housed out of Linden Hills School beginning in 1921, predating the Hennepin County Library system. In the following decades, the library operated out of various locations in the community. In 1926, the library relocated to 50th and Wooddale, and in 1928, moved to the Westgate Theater building in the Morningside neighborhood. This move allowed Edina to have its first free-standing public library, and it became known as the Edina Morningside Branch library, which closed in 1976. Its first permanent location opened in 1955 on West 50th Street, the former residence of Edina pioneer James A. Bull (later the home of D.W. Wallace). The space was considered quite small by the standards of the American Library Association. As a result, the League of Women Voters began campaigning in 1962 for a larger library for Edina. In 1967, following considerable preparation, plans were announced to build on 50th Street and Eden Avenue. The building, known as the Edina Community Library, opened in September 1968 at 4701 West 50th Street next to the Village Hall. Construction costs totaled $410,000, with 15,500 square feet of floor space. The space was designed by Arthur Dickey, an Edina resident, and included a reading room for adults, a children’s room, a drive-up service window, and a multi-purpose room. Art reproductions, displayed near the entry vestibule, were available for checkout by patrons. Edina was the first branch library in the Hennepin County Library system to loan art prints. When the current library opened in April 2002, Edina razed the old library to make way for a new city hall and policy department.
0.63 Linear Feet (2 archival boxes)
Language of Materials
Fact sheets, brochures, building information, newspaper clippings, correspondence and other administrative records documenting the history and operations of Edina Library in Edina, Minnesota, from 1922 to 2017. Edina Library is part of the Hennepin County Library.
Portions of this collection (accession 2018.16) were previously managed by Hennepin County Library Officially Withdrawn, an organization for retired and former staff of Hennepin County Library and Minneapolis Public Library.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection contains materials transferred to the archives by Hennepin County Library administration in 2017 as accession 2018.38 and in 2018 as accession 2018.16.
This collection was processed by KP McClintock, supervised by Jenna Jacobs, from September to December 2018. Additional materials added by Matt Berning in February 2019.
- Edina Library Records
- KP McClintock and Jenna Jacobs
- November 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.