Skip to main content

Hopkins Library Records

 Collection
Identifier: HCL 015

Description of Contents

This collection contains fact sheets, brochures, building information, newspaper clippings, correspondence, plans, maps, and other administrative records documenting the history of Hopkins Library from 1963 to 2012.

Dates

  • 1963-2012

Creator

Access Restrictions

The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.

History

Library service to the Hopkins, Minnesota community was established over 100 years ago, when the library was housed in City Hall. The library moved to the historic Dow House in 1948 and then temporarily to a vacant restaurant in 1963. The library opened in its current location in 1968 and was renovated in 2002, then again in 2015. The library joined Hennepin County Library in 1973.

In 1931, a lively debate was sparked in Hopkins over whether the city library should merge with the Hennepin County Library system. The county system was formed just after the Hopkins Library opened, and it was the only suburban library that still was independent. Besides Minneapolis, Hopkins was the final independent library in the county. In 1973 the Hopkins Library became a member of the Hennepin County Library System. In the collection there were some 1,000 books in Czech. The community had held on to these books even though most Hopkins residents no longer could read Czech or speak the language. Finally in the 1990s, they were donated first to The Hopkins History Center and then to the University of Minnesota Immigration Research Center, where to this day they are a valuable resource in the study of Czechoslovakia.

Extent

0.42 Linear Feet (1 archival box)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Fact sheets, brochures, building information, newspaper clippings, correspondence and other administrative records documenting the history and operations of Hopkins Library in Hopkins, Minnesota, from 1963-2012. Hopkins Library is part of the Hennepin County Library.

Custodial History

Portions of this collection (accession 2018.16) were previously managed by Hennepin County Library Officially Withdrawn, an organization for retired and former staff of Hennepin County Library and Minneapolis Public Library.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

This collection contains materials transferred to the archives by Hennepin County Library administration in 2017 as accession 2018.38 and in 2018 as accession 2018.16.

Related Materials in Hennepin County Library Special Collections

This is one of many collections documenting Hennepin County Library locations. For photographs, see HCL 002 Hennepin County Library Photographs.

Processing Information

This collection was processed by KP McClintock, supervised by Jenna Jacobs, from September to December 2018.
Title
Hopkins Library Records
Status
Completed
Author
KP McClintock and Jenna Jacobs
Date
December 2018
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.
612-543-8200