Hamel Library Records
Description of Contents
This collection contains fact sheets, newspaper clippings, and correspondence documenting the history of Hamel Library. Materials date from 1949 to 2007.
- 1949 - 2007
- Hennepin County Library (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
When the Hennepin County Library was formed in 1922, the Hamel Library was a station to which books were brought by library staff. In 1926, the library moved into the Farmers State Bank and became an official branch of the Hennepin County Library. In 1940, the library moved to a standalone building on D.J. Roy's property. Roy's wife had been the librarian since the late 1920s. The library was again converted to a station without permanent library staff in 1967. The former library building was later converted into a museum and is still extant.
0.21 Linear Feet (2 folders)
Language of Materials
Fact sheets, brochures, building information, newspaper clippings, correspondence and other administrative records documenting the history and operations of Hamel Library in Hamel (Medina), Minnesota, from 1922 to 2007. Hamel Library closed in 1967. It was part of the Hennepin County Library.
Portions of this collection (accession 2018.16) were previously managed by Hennepin County Library Officially Withdrawn, an organization for retired and former staff of Hennepin County Library and Minneapolis Public Library.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection contains materials transferred to the archives by Hennepin County Library administration in 2017 as accession 2018.38 and in 2018 as accession 2018.16.
This collection was processed by Jenna Jacobs in July 2019.
- Hamel (Minn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hennepin County Library Institutional Archive Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Hennepin County Library. Hamel Library
- Libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Medina (Minn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hamel Library Records
- Jenna Jacobs
- July 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.