Skip to main content

Engineer's Club of Minneapolis Records

 Collection
Identifier: M/A 0250

Description of Contents

This collection documents the growth and activities of the Engineers’ Club of Minneapolis.

The records have been arranged into three series:

I. ECM and EFM Financial Records II. ECM Historical Records III. ECM Administrative Files

Most of the collection was kept in the order it was received. The documents in the Treasurer’s Copy of EFM Records as well as the ECM Roster since 1957 were kept in their original place in their respective three-ring binders. The titles provided by the donors for these binders were also maintained.

Abbreviations Engineers’ Club of Minneapolis: ECM Engineers Foundation of Minneapolis: EFM

Dates

  • 1883 - 2006

Creator

Access Restrictions

The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.

History

The Engineers’ Club of Minneapolis (ECM) held their first meeting on May 4, 1883 at the “Board of Trade Room” in the old City Hall. Invited were all 30 engineers of Minneapolis whose addresses could be found. At the June meeting By-Laws were adopted and Andrew Rinker was elected President, William De La Barre, Vice President, William A. Pike, Secretary and George O. Foss, Librarian.

The club, initially called the Engineers Club of Minnesota, was formed for the purpose of “the professional improvement of its members, the encouragement of social intercourse among engineers and men of practical science, and the advancement of Engineering.” Membership was open to civil, mechanical, geological and mining engineers and other persons interested in the advancement of engineering, who were at least 21 years old.

In 1888 a new constitution was adopted and the club became the Minneapolis Society of Civil Engineers. In 1890 the club was again reorganized as the Engineers Club of Minneapolis, Minnesota. Between 1900 and 1902 membership had grown to 62. Early activities of the club included excursions to the Kettle River Sandstone Company’s quarry and the clay industries in Red Wing.

In 1953-54, membership was at 1,018. Mayor Donald M. Fraser proclaimed the week of May 8 to May 14, 1983 as “The Engineers’ Club of Minneapolis Week” in honor of the club’s 100th anniversary. The Engineers’ Foundation of Minneapolis, Inc. was established in 1983 to provide scholarships to students in the engineering profession.

In 1991 the club’s purpose as stated in their constitution was to “create united action and a desire for mutual betterment of the members of the Engineering Profession, to stimulate a greater interest among engineers in the welfare of their community, and to promote the advancement of the arts and sciences connected with the Engineering Profession.” Membership at this time was open to: anyone professionally engaged in engineering, architecture or applied sciences; anyone who was engaged in work closely associated with these; anyone who had previously been so engaged; and anyone who held a scientific or engineering degree, and who was qualified as required by the By-Laws.

Extent

3.17 Linear Feet (3 boxes, 1 ledger)

Language of Materials

English

Donor Information

The records of the Engineers’ Club of Minneapolis were donated to the James K. Hosmer Special Collections Library at the Minneapolis Public Library by Elton Jacobson on behalf of executive secretary Helen Pappas and club members Anthony Benkusky, Leroy V. (Rex) Alwin, and James H. Anderson in September 2006 as accession 2006.01. An addition of meeting minutes, 2009 roster and Treasurer's Notebook was made in December 2009.
Title
Engineer's Club of Minneapolis Records
Status
Completed
Author
Renee C. Willkom
Date
December 2006
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.
612-543-8200