McMillan and Pomeroy Family Photographs
Description of Contents
The collection consists of photographs belonging to Frank Pomeroy's grandmother, Jessamine McMillan, and her siblings (Corrine Frances McMillan and Howard McMillan), as well as a small folder of World War II correspondence. The bulk of the images are studio prints of East High School students or unidentified individuals. A photo album showing rural farm life, likely from Howard McMillan's Long Lake farm, Orchard Hill, is included. One folder contains photos taken by Donald Pomeroy, Jr. (son of Jessamine McMillan) during a European trip in 1936. Images include the 1936 Berlin Olympics.
The World War II correspondence folder includes a letter from Donald Pomeroy to Corrine McMillan, two letters from Jessamine Pomeroy to her sons, a British civil defense flyer, and a letter from Plymouth Congregation Church (dated May 23, 1945) listing the activities of parishioners serving in the war.
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
Siblings Jessamine, Corrine, and Howard McMillan grew up at 700 10th Ave. SE in the early 1900s. All graduated from East High School (Jessamine in 1909, Corrine ca. 1900, and Howard in 1904). The family also owned a lake home at Huntingston Point, Lake Minnetonka. Jessamine is the grandmother of Frank Pomeroy, a retired Minneapolis Public Library employee, who donated these materials.
Jessamine and Donald Lane Pomeroy, Sr. had three children: Donald Lane, Jr.; Warren; and Caroline (Carle). Donald and Warren both served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Donald was stationed at Camp Blandings in Florida at an Infrantry Replacement Training Center. After the war, we was stationed in occupied Japan and Korea. Warren served overseas during the war, most likely in Egypt and perhaps in Britain. In summer 1939, both brothers visited Great Britain.
0.84 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection was donated by Frank Pomeroy in November 2018 as accession 2018.36 and in October 2019 as accession 2019.40.
This collection was processed by Jenna Jacobs in August 2019.
- East High School (Minneapolis, Minn.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Farms Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- High school students Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Long Lake (Minn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minnesota World War II Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Photographs. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Pomeroy, Donald Lane, Jr.
- Summer Olympics Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- West High School (Minneapolis, Minn.) Subject Source: Local sources
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- McMillan and Pomeroy Family Photographs
- Jenna Jacobs
- August 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.