Linden Hills Library Records
Description of Contents
This collection contains fact sheets, brochures, building information, contracts, newspaper clippings, correspondence, plans, maps, and other administrative records documenting the history of Linden Hills Library from 1911 to 2008.
- Creation: 1912 - 2008
The collection is available for use in Special Collections at Minneapolis Central Library during the department's open hours.
The Linden Hills Library opened in 1911 at 2740 43rd St. W in Southwest Minneapolis. The library rented out the ground floor of the Lake Harriet Commercial Club building until 1928 when it lost its lease to the U.S. Post Office, forcing the library to move upstairs. Elderly patrons found it difficult to climb the stairs to the library and circulation faltered. In 1930, the branch received funding to build its own building in the Linden Hills community.
At a cost of approximately $42,000, a new building was constructed and opened in 1931 at 2900 43rd St. W. A children’s library was located in the basement of the building with the adult library on the main floor. The library was popular, setting a record for circulation in the summer of 1961 of 1,500 books – an average of 3 books per minute. When the library opened in 1931, it held about 10,000 books, a holding that increased to over 25,000 by 1981. In 1993 an Advisory Committee was organized recommend renovations and expansion of the library. In 2000, the Linden Hills Library building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Renovations and expansion of the building were completed in 2002. Linden Hills and the rest of the Minneapolis Public Library branches were merged with the Hennepin County Library system in 2008.
1.26 Linear Feet (3 archival boxes)
Language of Materials
Fact sheets, brochures, building information, newspaper clippings, correspondence and other administrative records documenting the history and operations of Linden Hills Library in Minneapolis, Minnesota, from 1911 to 2008. Linden Hills Library was part of the Minneapolis Public Library. The Minneapolis Public Library and Hennepin County Library merged in 2008. Linden Hills Library is now part of the Hennepin County Library.
Materials from before 2008 were included in the Minneapolis Public Library archives (accession 2019.25).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection contains materials transferred to the archives by Hennepin County Library administration in 2017 accession 2019.25.
This collection was processed by Grant Wilson, supervised by Jenna Jacobs, from October to December 2019.
- Linden Hills Library Records
- Grant Wilson and Jenna Jacobs
- October 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.