Hosmer Library Records
Description of Contents
This collection contains fact sheets, brochures, building information, contracts, newspaper clippings, correspondence, plans, maps, and other administrative records documenting the history of Hosmer Library from 1914 to 2017.
- Creation: 1914 - 2017
The collection is available for use in Special Collections at Minneapolis Central Library during the department's open hours.
Hosmer Library was constructed in 1916 at 347 East 36th Street in Minneapolis, the final of four Carnegie libraries to be constructed in Minneapolis during the tenure of Gratia Countryman. The two-story building is a brick structure, boasting an ornate archway entrance with turrets on either side. First known as the Thirty-sixth Street branch, the library was renamed Hosmer in 1926 in honor of James K. Hosmer, the second director of the Minneapolis Public Library from 1892 to 1904.
Under the leadership of Head Librarian Roy Woodstrom, Hosmer Library expanded its services to its patrons by establishing community programs, such as the annual Hosmer Library Talent Show (1998), the Hosmer World Concert Series (2002), and the Hosmer Library Friends Group.
By 1996, Hosmer Library was in dire need of updates to improve its services to its patrons. It was considered to close the branch altogether, but a community movement successfully raised $157,000 to put towards the library’s renovation and expansion. After its reopening in 1997, circulation increased by three times and visitor numbers increased by ten times. Hosmer Library underwent renovations again in 2017 and reopened in 2019.
In 2008, Hosmer Library and all of Minneapolis Public Library merged with the Hennepin County Library.
2.52 Linear Feet (6 archival boxes)
Language of Materials
Fact sheets, brochures, building information, newspaper clippings, correspondence and other administrative records documenting the history and operations of Hosmer Library in Minneapolis, Minnesota, from 1914 to 2017. Hosmer Library was part of the Minneapolis Public Library. The Minneapolis Public Library and Hennepin County Library merged in 2008. Hosmer Library is now part of the Hennepin County Library.
Materials from before 2008 were included in the Minneapolis Public Library archives (accession 2019.25).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection contains materials transferred to the archives by Hennepin County Library administration in 2017 accession 2019.25.
This collection was processed by Grant Wilson, supervised by Jenna Jacobs, from October to December 2019.
- Hosmer Library Records
- Grant Wilson and Jenna Jacobs
- November 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.