Skip to main content

Pillsbury Library Records

 Collection
Identifier: HCL 053

Description of Contents

This collection contains fact sheets, brochures, building information, contracts, newspaper clippings, correspondence, plans, maps, and other administrative records documenting the history of Pillsbury Library from 1896 to 1988. The bulk of materials address the construction and disposition of the building.

Dates

  • 1896-1988

Creator

Access Restrictions

The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.

History

The Pillsbury Library opened at 100 University Ave. SE in 1904. Envisioned by Governor John Sargent Pillsbury and donated to the city by his heirs, the library replaced a storefront East Side Library that had been in operation since 1891. Architect Charles R. Aldrich designed the Pillsbury branch in a Beaux Arts style.

In 1961, a new Minneapolis Central Library across the Mississippi River, not far from the Pillsbury Library. Due to this proximity, the Minneapolis Public Library closed Pillsbury Library in 1967. Southeast Library (now Arvonne Fraser Library) opened in Dinkytown in 1967 to replace the Pillsbury Library.

Since the Pillsbury Library closed, the building has housed a variety of businesses. For many years, it was the home of the Dolly Fiterman Gallery. The building is part of the St. Anthony Falls Historic District.

Extent

0.21 Linear Feet (1 archival box)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Fact sheets, brochures, building information, newspaper clippings, correspondence and other administrative records documenting the history and operations of Pillsbury Library in Minneapolis, Minnesota, from 1896 to 1988. Pillsbury Library was part of the Minneapolis Public Library from 1904 to 1967 when the branch was closed. The Minneapolis Public Library and Hennepin County Library merged in 2008.

Custodial History

Materials were included in the Minneapolis Public Library archives (accession 2019.25).

Immediate Source of Acquisition

This collection contains materials transferred to the archives by Hennepin County Library administration in 2017 as accession 2019.25. Additional materials transferred from Southeast Library in 2018 as accession 2018.44.

Related Materials in Hennepin County Library Special Collections

This is one of many collections documenting Minneapolis Public Library and Hennepin County Library locations. For photographs, see HCL 002 Hennepin County Library Photographs. For later, see Arvonne Fraser Library Records.

Processing Information

This collection was processed by Grant Wilson, supervised by Jenna Jacobs, from September to December 2019.

Title
Pillsbury Library Records
Status
Completed
Author
Jenna Jacobs
Date
December 2019
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.
612-543-8200