Jordan Library Records
Description of Contents
This collection contains fact sheets, brochures, building information, contracts, newspaper clippings, correspondence, and other administrative records documenting the history of Jordan Library from 1922 to 1971. The bulk of materials document the second iteration of the library from 1941 to 1968.
- 1922 - 1971
- Minneapolis Public Library (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
Jordan Branch Library opened in 1922 inside the new Jordan Junior High School on the northside of Minneapolis. The library was the first of many library branches operated within Minneapolis Public Schools. In 1941, the Minneapolis Public Library closed all public library branches inside junior high schools including Jordan Junior High.
In 1946, a new Jordan branch opened in a larger space within Jordan Junior High. Officially a branch of the Minneapolis Public Library, not a school library, the new library had its own entrance from the street to serve community members. Students and school staff could also access the library during regular school hours. Jordan was the first new branch library opened since the start of the Minneapolis Public Library bookmobile in 1939.
By the late 1950s, Jordan Library was outgrowing its space. In 1962, the Minneapolis Public Library Board proposed closing Jordan Library in a cost-cutting and reorganization plan. The board's plan called for relocating North Branch (located at 1834 Emerson Ave. N) to a new, larger location nearer Jordan school. In 1964, however, the board decided to close the Jordan Library without relocating North Library. Community members rallied around Jordan Library and campaigned vigorously for its continuation. A neighborhood organization, Jordan Area Action Committee (later Jordan Area Community Council) was formed to fight for the library. The committee and dedicated community members were influential in the decision to keep Jordan Library open until North Regional Library opened nearby in 1971.
From 1968 to 1971, Jordan Library was managed jointly by the Minneapolis Public Library and the Minneapolis Board of Education. The collection focused on children's and youth materials.
0.21 Linear Feet (1 archival box)
Language of Materials
Fact sheets, brochures, building information, newspaper clippings, correspondence and other administrative records documenting the history and operations of Jordan Library in Minneapolis, Minnesota, from 1922 to 1971. Jordan Library was part of the Minneapolis Public Library and closed in 1971. Located inside Jordan Junior High School, the library served both the school and local communities. The Minneapolis Public Library and Hennepin County Library merged in 2008.
Materials from before 2008 were included in the Minneapolis Public Library archives (accession 2019.25).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection contains materials transferred to the archives by Hennepin County Library administration in 2017 as accession 2019.25.
This collection was processed by Jenna Jacobs in January 2020.
- Branch libraries -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis Subject Source: Local sources
- Community-school libraries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hennepin County Library Institutional Archive Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Jordan Neighborhood (Minneapolis, Minn.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minneapolis Public Library. Jordan Library
- Minneapolis Public Schools
- Public libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jordan Library Records
- Jenna Jacobs
- January 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.