Minneapolis Star and Tribune Photographs
Description of Contents
This collection contains print photographs and limited negatives compiled by the Minneapolis Tribune, Minneapolis Times-Tribune, Minneapolis Daily Times, Minneapolis Journal, Minneapolis Star, and Minneapolis Star Journal from the 1910s through 1940s. Many of the images appeared in these newspapers. Photographs often have newspaper captions glued on the print's reverse. These articles, other newspaper articles, and additional research were used to create detailed metadata for each image. This metadata, available in the Minneapolis Newspaper Photograph Collection in the Hennepin County Library Digital Collections, is the best point of access to the collection.
This collection was previously referred to as the Times Morgue File.
- Creation: 1910s-1940s
The physical collection is available for use in Special Collections at Minneapolis Central Library during the department's open hours. Photographs and searchable, item-level information for each photograph from this collection are available in the Minneapolis Newspaper Photograph Collection in the Hennepin County Library Digital Collections.
The Star Tribune is the largest newspaper in Minnesota and is the result of the consolidation of several papers over many years. In 1867, the Minneapolis Tribune was founded by William S. King, William D. Washburn and Dorilus Morrison. In 1905, the Tribune's then-owner, William J. Murphy, purchased the competing Minneapolis Times. In 1920, the Minneapolis Star began publication. The Star was purchased by the Cowles family, publishers of the Des Moines Register, in 1935. In 1939, the Cowles family purchased the Minneapolis Journal, and two years later the Cowles family bought the Minneapolis Tribune. With this purchase, Minneapolis' main daily newspapers were united under what became the Cowles Media Group. The newspapers published under several names between the 1930s and 1980s, typically with at least one evening paper (normally the Star) and one morning paper (normally the Tribune). In 1982, the Minneapolis Star ceased publication and the staffs of the Star and Tribune (the last two Cowles' Minneapolis newspapers) were merged into the new Minneapolis Star and Tribune. In 1987, the paper changed its name to the Star Tribune: Newspaper of the Twin Cities.
129.78 Linear Feet (309 boxes)
Language of Materials
Photos are arranged by assigned identifier number. Identifier numbers correlate with the image's metadata in the Hennepin County Library Digital Collections.
This collection was donated by the Minneapolis Star and Tribune Company in 1970. The collection was accessioned in 2018 as accession 2018.43.
Non-Hennepin County photographs (excluding Minnesota photographs related to World War II) and all newspaper clippings were removed from this collection. Newspaper articles are available via Hennepin County Library digital databases and microfilm.
This collection was processed by multiple Special Collections staff members and volunteers beginning beginning in 2014. Processing is ongoing.
- Minneapolis Star and Tribune Photographs
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.