Nokomis Library Records
Description of Contents
This collection contains fact sheets, brochures, building information, contracts, newspaper clippings, correspondence, plans, maps, and other administrative records documenting the history of Nokomis Library from 1930 to 2009.
- 1930 - 2009
- Hennepin County Library (Organization)
- Minneapolis Public Library (Organization)
- Hennepin County Library. Nokomis Library (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
In 1968 the Nokomis Library opened, becoming the first new branch added to the Hennepin County Library system since 1931. Replacing the Longfellow Community Library, the new branch served Minneapolis’ Nokomis East community. To accommodate the library’s growing patronage, a two-year renovation started in 2009 expanded the library to 4300 square feet while adding several more environmentally sustainable features. A notable fixture of the Nokomis Library is the hanging sculpture Wind and Water Chime, which was installed when the original building opened and restored in 2013.
0.84 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Fact sheets, brochures, building information, newspaper clippings, correspondence and other administrative records documenting the history and operations of Nokomis Library in Minneapolis, Minnesota, from 1930 to 2009. Nokomis Library was part of the Minneapolis Public Library. The Minneapolis Public Library and Hennepin County Library merged in 2008. Nokomis Library is now part of the Hennepin County Library.
Materials from before 2008 were included in the Minneapolis Public Library archives (accession 2019.25). Portions of the collection (accession 2018.16) were previously managed by Hennepin County Library Officially Withdrawn, an organization for retired and former staff of Hennepin County Library and Minneapolis Public Library.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection contains materials transferred to the archives by Hennepin County Library administration in 2017 accession 2019.25. Additional materials transferred by Hennepin County Library administration in 2017 as accession 2018.38 and in 2018 as accession 2018.16.
This collection was processed by Amelia Foster and Michael Homolka, supervised by Jenna Jacobs, from February to October 2020.
- Branch libraries -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis Subject Source: Local sources
- East Nokomis (Minneapolis, Minn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hennepin County Library Institutional Archive Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Nokomis Library Records
- Michael Homolka and Jenna Jacobs
- September 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.