Longfellow Library Records
Description of Contents
This collection contains fact sheets, brochures, building information, contracts, newspaper clippings, correspondence, plans, maps, and other administrative records documenting the history of Longfellow Library from 1936 to 1997.
- 1936 - 1997
- Hennepin County Library (Organization)
- Minneapolis Public Library (Organization)
- Minneapolis Public Library. Longfellow Library (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
The Longfellow Community Library had the unusual distinction of being housed in a scaled replica of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s Massachusetts house. After the owner’s death, the house was deeded to the Minneapolis Park Board, who then sold it to the Minneapolis Public Library. In 1937, the library opened after a period of fundraising. In 1968, the Longfellow Community Library closed and was replaced by the Nokomis Community Library.
0.42 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Fact sheets, brochures, building information, newspaper clippings, correspondence and other administrative records documenting the history and operations of Longfellow Library in Minneapolis, Minnesota, from 1936 to 1997. Longfellow Library was part of the Minneapolis Public Library. The Minneapolis Public Library and Hennepin County Library merged in 2008. Longfellow Library closed in 1968.
This collection contains materials transferred to the archives by Hennepin County Library administration in 2017 accession 2019.25.
This collection was processed by Michael Homolka, supervised by Jenna Jacobs, from September to October 2020.
- Branch libraries -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis Subject Source: Local sources
- Hennepin County Library Institutional Archive Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Hiawatha Neighborhood (Minneapolis, Minn.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Longfellow Library Records
- Michael Homolka and Jenna Jacobs
- October 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.