Northeast Library Records
Description of Contents
This collection contains fact sheets, brochures, building information, contracts, newspaper clippings, correspondence, plans, maps, and other administrative records documenting the history of Northeast Library from 1957 to 2011. The bulk of this collection pertains to the construction of the library between 1969 and 1973.
- 1957 - 2011
- Hennepin County Library (Organization)
- Minneapolis Public Library (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
The Northeast branch of the Hennepin County Library opened at 2200 Central Ave. NE in 1973. Prior to being built, the site was occupied by one of Minnesota’s four Carnegie libraries (Central Avenue Library) from 1915 to 1972. After Central Avenue Library fell into disrepair and an original build was determined to be more cost efficient than renovations, the site was razed to make way for the new building. While extensive renovations occurred from 2007 to 2011, the Northeast Library is still thriving today, serving the community with special regard for the youth population.
1.26 Linear feet (3 boxes)
Language of Materials
Fact sheets, brochures, building information, newspaper clippings, correspondence and other administrative records documenting the history and operations of Northeast Library in Minneapolis, Minnesota, from 1957 to 2011. Northeast Library was part of the Minneapolis Public Library. The Minneapolis Public Library and Hennepin County Library merged in 2008. Northeast Library is now part of the Hennepin County Library.
Materials from before 2008 were included in the Minneapolis Public Library archives (accession 2019.25). Portions of the collection (accession 2018.16) were previously managed by Hennepin County Library Officially Withdrawn, an organization for retired and former staff of Hennepin County Library and Minneapolis Public Library.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection contains materials transferred to the archives by Hennepin County Library administration in 2017 accession 2019.25. Additional materials transferred by Hennepin County Library administration in 2017 as accession 2018.38 and in 2018 as accession 2018.16.
This collection was processed by Michael Homolka, supervised by Jenna Jacobs, from June to July 2021.
- Branch libraries -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis Subject Source: Local sources
- Hennepin County Library Institutional Archive Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Hennepin County Library. Northeast Library
- Holland Neighborhood (Minneapolis, Minn.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Northeast Library Records
- Michael Homolka and Jenna Jacobs
- July 2021
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.