Pierre Bottineau Library Records
Description of Contents
This collection contains fact sheets, brochures, building information, contracts, newspaper clippings, correspondence, plans, maps, and other administrative records documenting the history of Pierre Bottineau Library from 1957 to 2009. Materials document the previous library location at 1224 2nd St. NE and the current location, inside the former Grain Belt Brewery (55 Broadway St. NE).
- 1957 - 2009
- Hennepin County Library (Organization)
- Minneapolis Public Library (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
Named for a prominent local trapper and trader from the late 1800s, Pierre Bottineau Library is a branch library located in northeast Minneapolis, Minnesota. The library moved to its current location at the historic Grain Belt Brewery campus in 2003.
The first library in the Northeast Minneapolis neighborhood was housed at Sheridan Junior High School in 1913. The library later moved to the field house at Logan Park and was known was the Logan Park Library. In 1957, the library moved to a 2,044-square-foot rented space at 1224 2nd St. NE and took on the Pierre Bottineau name. By 2000, the Pierre Bottineau branch was the smallest library in the Minneapolis Public Library system, and discusions began about finding a new location.
In 2003, the Pierre Bottineau Library moved to a much larger space in the former Grain Belt Brewery complex. The 12,355-square-foot facility combines two historic buildings, the 1893 Wagon Shed and the 1913 Millwright Shop, with an addition designed by RSP Architects.
In 2008, the Minneapolis Public Library merged with the Hennepin County Library.
1.68 Linear feet (4 boxes)
Language of Materials
Fact sheets, brochures, building information, newspaper clippings, correspondence and other administrative records documenting the history and operations of Pierre Bottineau Library in Minneapolis, Minnesota, from 1957 to 2009. Pierre Bottineau Library was part of the Minneapolis Public Library. The Minneapolis Public Library and Hennepin County Library merged in 2008. Pierre Bottineau Library is now part of the Hennepin County Library.
Materials from before 2008 were included in the Minneapolis Public Library archives (accession 2019.25). Portions of the collection (accession 2018.16) were previously managed by Hennepin County Library Officially Withdrawn, an organization for retired and former staff of Hennepin County Library and Minneapolis Public Library.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection contains materials transferred to the archives by Hennepin County Library administration in 2017 accession 2019.25. Additional materials transferred by Hennepin County Library administration in 2018 as accession 2018.16.
This collection was processed by Jenna Jacobs in March 2021.
- Branch libraries -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis Subject Source: Local sources
- Breweries -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Grain Belt Brewery (Minneapolis, Minn.)
- Hennepin County Library Institutional Archive Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sheridan Neighborhood (Minneapolis, Minn.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Hennepin County Library. Pierre Bottineau Library (Organization)
- Pierre Bottineau Library Records
- Jenna Jacobs
- March 2021
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.