Webber Park Library Records
Description of Contents
This collection contains fact sheets, brochures, building information, contracts, newspaper clippings, correspondence, plans, maps, and other administrative records documenting the history of Webber Park Library from 1912 to 2013. The bulk of materials document the library location built in 1980 at 4310 Webber Pkwy.
- Creation: 1912 - 2013
The collection is available for use in Special Collections at Minneapolis Central Library during the department's open hours.
Webber Park Library, located in the Camden Neighborhood of north Minneapolis, traces its roots to the late 1800s. The Camden Place delivery station, operated by the Minneapolis Public Library, opened in Coffin's Drug Store in 1895. In 1910, the Camden Branch Library replaced the delivery station. The branch was renamed Webber Park Library in 1954. Two new library buildings were constructed in 1980 and 2017.
Camden Library opened in the new Camden Park field house in 1910. The park was named Webber Park in 1913 in honor of the Charles C. and Mary Webber family who had donated funds for the park and field house construction. In 1954, the library expanded to both floors of the field house and was renamed Webber Park Library. The fieldhouse was razed in 1979 to make way for new park facilities.
In 1980, a new Webber Park Library opened in conjunction with a new swimming pool and recreation center in the park. The new 4,000 square foot library, designed by Lindberg Pierce, Inc., featured a "Camden Corner" of comfortable seating and neighborhood announcements. By 2013, the library was experiencing structural failures. A temporary location opened at 4203 Webber Pkwy. in December 2013, while plans began for the construction of a new library.
This new Webber Park Library opened to the public on May 18, 2017. Located on Humboldt Avenue, the building includes twice the square footage of the previous library.
0.63 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
Fact sheets, brochures, building information, newspaper clippings, correspondence and other administrative records documenting the history and operations of Webber Park Library in Minneapolis, Minnesota, from 1912 to 2013. Webber Park Library was known was Camden Library until 1954. The library was part of the Minneapolis Public Library. The Minneapolis Public Library and Hennepin County Library merged in 2008. Webber Park Library is now part of the Hennepin County Library.
Materials from before 2008 were included in the Minneapolis Public Library archives (accession 2019.25). Portions of the collection (accession 2018.16) were previously managed by Hennepin County Library Officially Withdrawn, an organization for retired and former staff of Hennepin County Library and Minneapolis Public Library.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection contains materials transferred to the archives by Hennepin County Library administration in 2017 accession 2019.25. Additional materials transferred by Hennepin County Library administration in 2018 as accession 2018.16.
This collection was processed by Jenna Jacobs from June to July 2021.
- Webber Park Library Records
- Jenna Jacobs
- July 2021
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.