Gratia Countryman Library Records
Description of Contents
This collection contains fact sheets, brochures, building information, contracts, newspaper clippings, correspondence, plans, maps, and other administrative records documenting the planning for and land sale of Gratia Countryman Library from 1959 to 1969. The library was proposed, but never built.
- 1959 - 1969
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
In the late 1950s, the Minneapolis Public Library created a twenty-year expansion plan. The plan included the creation of a new Gratia Countryman Branch Library, located at 54th St. W and Penn Ave. S. The proposed branch would have served a residential area far from existing library locations. Due to lack of state funding, the plans were shelved.
In the mid-1960s, Minneapolis Public Library leaders considered building the Gratia Countryman branch as a southern Minneapolis regional library, similar to North Regional Library and suburban Southdale Library. With Southdale so near the proposed Countryman branch and with budget limitations, the plans for the library were dropped and the land sold.
0.1 Linear feet (2 folders)
Language of Materials
Fact sheets, brochures, building information, newspaper clippings, correspondence and other administrative records documenting the proposed Gratia Countryman Library in Minneapolis, Minnesota, from 1959 to 1969. Gratia Countryman Library was proposed, but never built, by the Minneapolis Public Library. The Minneapolis Public Library and Hennepin County Library merged in 2008.
Materials from before 2008 were included in the Minneapolis Public Library archives (accession 2019.25).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection contains materials transferred to the archives by Hennepin County Library administration in 2017 accession 2019.25.
This collection was processed by Jenna Jacobs in July 2021.
- Branch libraries -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis Subject Source: Local sources
- Hennepin County Library Institutional Archive Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lynnhurst Neighborhood (Minneapolis, Minn.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Minneapolis Public Library. Gratia Countryman Library
- Public libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gratia Countryman Library Records
- Jenna Jacobs
- July 2021
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.