North Library Records
Description of Contents
This collection contains fact sheets, brochures, building information, contracts, newspaper clippings, correspondence, plans, maps, and other administrative records documenting the history of North Library from 1893-2010. The collection includes information on the closing of the library in 1977 and the repurposing of the building.
- 1893 - 2010
- Hennepin County Library (Organization)
- Minneapolis Public Library (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
The first branch of the Minneapolis Public Library, North Branch Library, opened in the basement of North High School on February 27, 1890. Two years later, the school board announced that the library space was needed by the school. Thanks to the success of the branch, the library board decided to erect a permanent branch library building.
After a short tenure in rented space at 1003 West Broadway, North Branch Library dedicated its new building at 1834 Emerson Ave on January 26, 1894. Land for the library was donated by Samuel C. Gale and Judge Charles E. Vanderburgh and funds were contributed by members of the community. The building was designed by local architect Frederick G. Corser in the Richardson Romanesque style. The building was expanded and remodeled in 1914 and 1952.
By the 1970s, the North Branch Library needed additional repairs. After the opening of North Regional Library in 1971, use of North Library had decreased. Despite opposition from many community members, the Minneapolis Public Library Board voted on January 20, 1977, to close North Library. The library closed December 30, 1977. The building was used as office space for the Minneapolis Housing and Redevelopment Authority and later as the Metropolitan Cultural Arts Center, artist studio space, and EMERGE Career and Technology Center.
0.42 Linear feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
Fact sheets, brochures, building information, newspaper clippings, correspondence and other administrative records documenting the history and operations of North Library in Minneapolis, Minnesota, from 1893 to 1977. North Library was part of the Minneapolis Public Library. The Minneapolis Public Library and Hennepin County Library merged in 2008.
Materials from before 2008 were included in the Minneapolis Public Library archives (accession 2019.25).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection contains materials transferred to the archives by Hennepin County Library administration in 2017 accession 2019.25.
This collection was processed by Jenna Jacobs in June 2022.
- Branch libraries -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis Subject Source: Local sources
- Hennepin County Library Institutional Archive Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minneapolis Public Library. North Library
- Near North Neighborhood (Minneapolis, Minn.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Public libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- North Library Records
- Jenna Jacobs
- June 2022
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.