Woman's Club of Minneapolis Records
Description of Contents
Collection consists of newspaper clippings concerning The Woman’s Club of Minneapolis, the club’s yearbooks spanning 1907-2001, miscellaneous brochures and programs produced by the club, and extensive papers regarding the restoration of the Ard Godfrey House.
- Creation: 1907 - 2001
- Woman's Club of Minneapolis (Author, Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections at Minneapolis Central Library during the department's open hours.
The Woman’s Club of Minneapolis was founded in March 1907 by and for women for the purpose of “education, civic and social service, study and friendly association.” Its first president was Alice Ames Winter. The club initially met at private homes and public libraries. In 1908 it moved to Handicraft Guild, 89 10th St. S, Minneapolis. In 1913 it relocated again to 1526 Harmon Place, Minneapolis. During its first 20 years, the club accomplishments included organizing the first Parents and Teachers Association, and planning and financing free eye clinics and medical inspections in schools. From 1914 to 1917, the club supported the War effort by contributing to French relief organizations and working with the Red Cross. By 1926, the club had grown to over 1000 members. Consequently, in January 1926 an ambitious fundraising campaign to build a new clubhouse began. Over $125,000 in subscriptions was raised. An additional $125,000 was raised by bonds. The club officially moved to 410 Oak Grove St. on February 28, 1928. Prominent club members included Sister Elizabeth Kenny and Elizabeth Quinlan.
In 1976 the Woman’s Club of Minneapolis sponsored the restoration of the 1848 Ard Godfrey House as a gift to the City of Minneapolis.
2.17 Linear Feet (5 boxes)
Language of Materials
- Woman's Club of Minneapolis Records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.