Lewis Parliamentary Law Association Programs and Newspaper Clippings
Description of Contents
The collection consists of program booklets with officer lists, member lists and agendas and study topics for specific meetings. The programs range from 1911-1942 and 1965-1966. The collection also consists of newspaper clippings from the 1915 to 1944.
- 1911 - 1966
- Lewis Parliamentary Law Association (Minneapolis, Minn.) (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
The Lewis Parliamentary Law Association was organized in 1895 by Mrs. Mary Burr Lewis. It was a women’s organization dedicated to parliamentary law. Recruits had to first complete a two year course in parliamentary law to become members. The club was incorporated into the larger Minnesota Federation of Women’s Clubs in 1921. Their regular meetings on various legal issues were described as a post-parliamentary course. The association consisted of only sixty members at a time. New members would be recruited in the instance of death or resignation of a member. In the earlier years, the club met in different members’ homes, but later moved on to having meetings at YWCA locations. Some study topics included “Congressional Legislation,” “Panama Canal,” and “Divorce Laws.” They also took part in a number of civic engagements, such as women’s suffrage. Membership consisted of women from the Minneapolis area.
0.21 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
- Clubs -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Parliamentary practice. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis -- Societies and clubs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women -- Suffrage -- Minnesota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lewis Parliamentary Law Association Programs and Newspaper Clippings
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.