Skip to main content

Lewis Parliamentary Law Association Programs and Newspaper Clippings

 Collection
Identifier: M/A 0106

Description of Contents

The collection consists of program booklets with officer lists, member lists and agendas and study topics for specific meetings. The programs range from 1911-1942 and 1965-1966. The collection also consists of newspaper clippings from the 1915 to 1944.

Dates

  • 1911 - 1966

Creator

Access Restrictions

The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.

History

The Lewis Parliamentary Law Association was organized in 1895 by Mrs. Mary Burr Lewis. It was a women’s organization dedicated to parliamentary law. Recruits had to first complete a two year course in parliamentary law to become members. The club was incorporated into the larger Minnesota Federation of Women’s Clubs in 1921. Their regular meetings on various legal issues were described as a post-parliamentary course. The association consisted of only sixty members at a time. New members would be recruited in the instance of death or resignation of a member. In the earlier years, the club met in different members’ homes, but later moved on to having meetings at YWCA locations. Some study topics included “Congressional Legislation,” “Panama Canal,” and “Divorce Laws.” They also took part in a number of civic engagements, such as women’s suffrage. Membership consisted of women from the Minneapolis area.

Extent

0.21 Linear Feet (1 box)

Language of Materials

English

Title
Lewis Parliamentary Law Association Programs and Newspaper Clippings
Status
Completed
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.
612-543-8200