Collection on the Minneapolis Council for Adult Education
Description of Contents
Two boxes. The collection includes constitution and by-laws, annual conference programs and summaries, correspondence, some financial information, meeting minutes, reports of special committees (e.g. in investigate standards for graduation from night schools), surveys, treasurer's reports. Materials are from 1930, 1934, 1937, 1939, 1941-1942. (In the 1930s the organization was headquartered in the Minneapolis Public Library and Gratia Countryman was an active member.) Also includes materials from the Minneapolis Council of Americanization, 1925-1929.
- 1925 - 1945
- Minneapolis Council for Adult Education (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
The Minneapolis Council for Adult Education began in 1929. The organization's objectives were to promote education among the adult population of Minneapolis; to collect and keep up-to-date directory information about all agencies in Minneapolis that were giving service in adult education; to serve as a clearing house for information; to formulate plans and policies for supplementing present service in the city; and to give publicity to educational cultural and recreational opportunities that existed in the city. The organization remained highly active through 1937, but struggled to survive into the early 1940s.
0.67 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
- Adult education -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Council of Americanization (Minneapolis, Minn.)
- Countryman, Gratia A. (Gratia Alta)
- Minneapolis Council of Americanization
- Minneapolis Public Library
- Radio in adult education -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Collection on the Minneapolis Council for Adult Education
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.