Arvonne Fraser Library Records
Description of Contents
This collection contains fact sheets, brochures, building information, contracts, newspaper clippings, correspondence, plans, maps, and other administrative records documenting the history of Arvonne Fraser Library from 1962 to 2018.
Box 1 Folder 5 contains a program from the dedication of the State Capitol Credit Union, 1963.
- 1962 - 2018
- Hennepin County Library (Organization)
- Minneapolis Public Library (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
The Arvonne Fraser Library, formerly known as Southeast Library, opened in the former State Capitol Credit Union Building designed by prolific architect Ralph Rapson. When the library opened in 1967, it replaced the Pillsbury Library (1904-1967). Due to its close proximity to the University of Minnesota, a large portion of the library’s clientele is university students who come to the library to study and check out books. The Hennepin County board decided to change the name of the library from Southeast to Arvonne Fraser in December 2018.
The library was closed in 2006 then reopened in 2008 when all fourteen former Minneapolis Public Library branches merged with the Hennepin County Library system.
1.26 Linear Feet (3 archival boxes)
Language of Materials
Fact sheets, brochures, building information, newspaper clippings, correspondence and other administrative records documenting the history and operations of Arvonne Fraser Library (known as Southeast Library until 2020) in Minneapolis, Minnesota, from 1962 to 2018. Southeast Library was part of the Minneapolis Public Library. The Minneapolis Public Library and Hennepin County Library merged in 2008. Arvonne Fraser Library is now part of the Hennepin County Library.
Materials from before 2008 were included in the Minneapolis Public Library archives (accession 2019.25). Portions of the collection (accession 2018.16) were previously managed by Hennepin County Library Officially Withdrawn, an organization for retired and former staff of Hennepin County Library and Minneapolis Public Library.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection contains materials transferred to the archives by Hennepin County Library administration in 2017 as accession 2019.25. Additional materials transferred by Hennepin County Library administration in 2017 as accession 2018.38 and in 2018 as accession 2018.16. Additional materials transferred from Southeast Library in December 2018 as accession 2018.44.
This collection was processed by Grant Wilson, supervised by Jenna Jacobs, from October to December 2019.
- Branch libraries -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis Subject Source: Local sources
- Hennepin County Library Institutional Archive Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Hennepin County Library. Arvonne Fraser Library
- Hennepin County Library. Southeast Library
- Libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood (Minneapolis, Minn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Rapson, Ralph
- Arvonne Fraser Library Records
- Grant Wilson and Jenna Jacobs
- December 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.