Bloomington West Library Records
Description of Contents
This collection contains newspaper clippings, building site information, and other administrative records documenting the history of the proposed Bloomington West Library from 1970 to 1989. The bulk of the collection is internal Hennepin County Library correspondence and communication between Hennepin County Library and the City of Bloomington.
- 1970 - 1989
- Hennepin County Library (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
In 1967, the Bloomington Library Study Committee called for the building of four to six new libraries in the City of Bloomington. The final libraries of this list were to be built in western Bloomington. Influenced by this and later plans for the growth of Bloomington's libraries, Hennepin County purchased three acres of land along Old Shakopee Road and Oxborough Avenue in western Bloomington for a library. Population growth did not match expectations and the library was never built. In 1988, the Old Shakopee Road site was sold to the Bloomington Housing and Redevelopment Authority.
0.42 Linear Feet (1 archival box)
Language of Materials
Newspaper clippings, building site information, and other administrative records documenting the history of a proposed Bloomington West Library in Bloomington, Minnesota, from 1970 to 1989. Bloomington West Library was never built, but would have been part of the Hennepin County Library.
Portions of this collection (accession 2018.16) were previously managed by Hennepin County Library Officially Withdrawn, an organization for retired and former staff of Hennepin County Library and Minneapolis Public Library.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection contains materials transferred to the archives by Hennepin County Library administration in 2017 as accession 2018.38 and in 2018 as accession 2018.16.
This collection was processed by Jenna Jacobs from August to September 2018.
- Bloomington (Minn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hennepin County Library Institutional Archive Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Hennepin County Library. Bloomington West Library
- Libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bloomington West Library Records
- Jenna Jacobs
- November 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.