Skip to main content

Collection on John H. Stevens

Identifier: M/A 0295

Description of Contents

The John H. Stevens collection consists of one box of handwritten letters written by Stevens to members of his family, transcriptions of those letters, a transcribed speech delivered by Stevens to the Minneapolis Lyceum about the early history of Hennepin County, clippings containing biographical information, and correspondence between the collection's donor and Minneapolis Public Library Staff.


  • 1844 - 1858

Access Restrictions

The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.


John Harrington Stevens (1820–1900) was the first non-native resident on the west side of the Mississippi River in present-day Minneapolis. He operated a ferry across the river before the construction of the first Hennepin Avenue Bridge and subsequently became a colonel in the U.S. Army. He later served in the Minnesota Legislature.

Stevens Sqaure Park is named after him, and his wood frame home, moved from its original location at the current site of the Federal Reserve building, is now a museum in Minnehaha Park.


0.21 Linear Feet (1 box)

Language of Materials


Donor Information

The letters were donated to the library by Louise Williams, Stevens' grand-niece, in 1955. The transcribed letters were presumably created at the library's request. Accession 2014.01.

Collection on John H. Stevens
Stewart Van Cleve
January 2014
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository

Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.