Skip to main content

Collection on the Minnehikers

Identifier: M/A 0097

Description of Contents

The collection consists of handbooks, directories, annual banquet information, newspaper clippings, assorted administrative documents, and photographs documenting the Minnehikers from the 1920s to the 1980s. The bulk of the material documents the 1920s and 1930s. Slides taken by Bernice Catlin date from the 1960s to 1980s.


  • Creation: 1919 - 2010



The collection is available for use in Special Collections at Minneapolis Central Library during the department's open hours.


The Minnehikers, or the Minneapolis Municipal Hiking Club, was founded in December of 1919, by Park Superintendent Theodore Wirth. The club was an informal walking club whose main purpose was to acquaint people with the parks and trails in Minneapolis. The hiking area soon extended to the surrounding towns and counties.

The first president of the club was Ross Gordon. The first official officers of the club included Donald M. Patterson, Henry Sagmoen, Edna Eckstrom, George Shekels, Carl M. Johnson, Ella Knapp, Peggy Farver, Madelyn Woehing, Aimee Meldahl, Al Mangney, Dorothea Nelson and Ray Crawford.

In 1925, the Minnehikers began to publish a monthly newsletter. Their mailing list soon surpassed their budget, and they were forced to charge fifty cents per year for the publication. However, free copies of the newsletter were still available at the hikes and at their office. In 1926, the club decided to charge a yearly fee of two dollars per member. In 2010, the club charged a membership fee of fifteen dollars per year. The club supplemented its income by holding banquets and other entertainment events.

In later years, the Minnehikers sponsored two or three hikes per week within Minneapolis. Destination hikes were also an important part of the club--hiking trips were planned at various scenic locations throughout the United States and Canada. With an aging and dwindling membership, the club disbanded in 2010.


2.965 Linear Feet (4 boxes, 1 sleeve of negatives)

Language of Materials


Donor Information

This collection was compiled by library staff from various sources. The slides were donated by Joyce Catlin, niece of Bernice Catlin, in 2015. Lantha L. Ballard's photo album was donated by her family in 2012. Board Manuals and 32 on 302 in 1935 were transferred from the Minnesota Historical Society in July 2015. Harvey and Katherine Kispert materials were donated by the couple's daughter, Janet Kispert-White, in July 2019 as accession 2019.28.

Related Materials in Hennepin County Library Special Collections

Minnehikers Year Books (1927-2000s, incomplete): GV199.M56

Minnehiker Magazine (1960-2000s, incomplete)

Tenth Anniversary Book: GV199.M541929

Twentieth Anniversary Book: GV199.M541939

Thirtieth Anniversary Book: GV199.M541949

Processing Information

This collection was reprocessed by Jenna Jacobs in August 2019. Original processing date unknown.

Collection on the Minnehikers
Unknown, Revised by Jenna Jacobs
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository

Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.