Collection on the Ollapodrida Study Club
Description of Contents
Collection consists of personal notes and handwritten records from the members, a few newspaper clippings about the Ollapodrida Study Club, several record books of the club treasurer and the club secretary, and the club’s annual programs spanning 1922-1965.
- 1922 - 1965
- Ollapodrida Study Club (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
The Ollapodrida Study Club was organized in April 1921 in Minneapolis by eleven women members of Simpson Church. The club’s name comes from the Spanish phrase “olla podrida” which loosely translates to “hodgepodge.” The club’s motto was “preserve and improve.” The purpose of the club was to serve as a center for inspiration, information, self-improvement, and happy associations. Membership was limited to 25 members. Meetings were held the second Monday of each month. Members hosted meetings at their homes on a rotating schedule. Food typically was not served at meetings. Rather, the meetings focused on discussing intellectually challenging questions and topics. The club disbanded on June 14, 1965.
0.83 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
Emma Stephens, Linda MacLean, Myrta E. Hainer, Emily Cobb, Ella Hendrix, Rosette Hendrix, Julia Hendrix, Susie Hamilton, Myra A. Comer, Anna R. Weed, Elizabeth L. Morrison
- Women -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis -- Societies and clubs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Collection on the Ollapodrida Study Club
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.