Dorothy Burke Collection on Minneapolis Newspaper History
Description of Contents
One box. The collection contains 23 folders of material concerning Minneapolis's newspaper industry. Particular areas of focus are Minneapolis newspapers, Minneapolis newspeople, the area of Downtown Minneapolis on 4th Street formerly known as Printer's Row, hotels and other major buildings in Downtown Minneapolis, and several other related areas of interest. There are also several hundred printed catalog cards on the same topics.
There are also a variety of loose programs, pamphlets, and other ephemera concerning Minneapolis -- chiefly its buildings, architecture, and preservation thereof -- from throughout the mid to late 20th century.
- 1870 - 1991
- Burke, Dorothy (Person)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
Dorothy Burke was born in Minneapolis, MN on December 8, 1917. She was responsible for helping form the Minneapolis History Collection at the Minneapolis Public Library and acted as its curator for many years. After retiring from her position, she volunteered with the Hennepin County Historical Society and performed much of the cataloging and reorganization work needed after its renovation in the mid-1980s. She died on November 20, 1992 in Saint Louis Park, MN.
1 boxes (1 box)
Language of Materials
- American newspapers -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minneapolis (Minn.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newspaper publishing -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newspapers -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reporters and reporting -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minneapolis Star and Tribune (Organization)
- Minneapolis Journal (Organization)
- Minneapolis Morning Tribune (Minneapolis, Minn. : 1909) (Organization)
- Dorothy Burke Collection on Minneapolis Newspaper History
- Nick Steffel
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.