Government Center Information Library Records
Description of Contents
This collection contains fact sheets, brochures, building information, newspaper clippings, correspondence, plans, maps, and other administrative records documenting the history of Government Center Information Library from 1975 to 1997. The bulk of this collection pertains to library operations from 1980 to 1989.
- 1975 - 1997
- Hennepin County Library (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections during the department's open hours.
The Government Center Information Library quietly opened on October 1, 1979 on the 23rd floor of the Hennepin County Government Center. Managed by librarian Julie Setnosky, the Information Library provided a “work-related information service to Hennepin County employees” with a collection emphasizing the most current interdisciplinary information available. Core specializations included public administration, human services, adult and juvenile corrections, management, and grants. Other priorities of the Information Library were to collect and maintain a collection of Hennepin County documents and develop an index file to the locations of commercial publications throughout the library system. After a period of rapid growth in patronage through 1985, demand fluctuated after budget cuts necessitated a decrease in staff and business hours. Despite attempts to counteract these issues, the Government Center Information Library was forced to close in December 1989.
1.26 Linear Feet (3 archival boxes)
Language of Materials
Fact sheets, brochures, building information, newspaper clippings, correspondence and other administrative records documenting the history and operations of Government Center Information Library in Minneapolis, Minnesota, from 1975 to 1997. The Government Center Information Library closed in December 1989.
Portions of this collection (accession 2018.16) were previously managed by Hennepin County Library Officially Withdrawn, an organization for retired and former staff of Hennepin County Library and Minneapolis Public Library.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection contains materials transferred to the archives by Hennepin County Library administration in 2017 as accession 2018.38 and in 2018 as accession 2018.16.
This collection was processed by Michael Homolka, supervised by Jenna Jacobs, from May to June 2019.
- Government libraries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hennepin County Government Center (Minneapolis, Minn.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Hennepin County Library Institutional Archive Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Hennepin County Library. Government Center Information Library
- Libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public libraries -- Minnesota -- Hennepin County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Government Center Information Library Records
- Michael Homolka and Jenna Jacobs
- May 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.