Jeanette May Papers
Description of Contents
This collection documents Jeanette May and her community activism through meeting minutes, proposals, by-laws, correspondence, brochures, government documents, memos, and other records associated with the following organizations: St. Anthony East Neighborhood Association (SAENA); Project NEAT; Northeast Community Organization (NECO); Project Area Committee (PAC); Capital Long-Range Improvements Committee (CLIC); I-335 Concerned Citizens Committee (I-335 CCC); and Alternate to I-355 Land Use Committee.
The collection also contains newspaper clippings from local and neighborhood newspapers referring to Jeanette May and projects she was involved with, as well as articles authored by May.
- Creation: 1965 - 1990
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1970 - 1985
- May, Jeanette (Person)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections at Minneapolis Central Library during the department's open hours.
Jeanette May (1931-2018) was a long-time resident of Northeast Minneapolis and a community advocate. She was born in Braham, Minnesota, and moved to Northeast Minneapolis in 1941.
An active member of the St. Anthony East Neighborhood Association (SAENA), she was involved with several other committees and sub-committees. Her most prominent activism involved her work to save the Grain Belt Brewery from demolition in the late 1970s and blocking the construction of highway I-335 in the mid-1970s. The freeway would have passed through Northeast Minneapolis along Central Avenue. Although land had already been cleared for construction, Jeanette May and the I-335 Concerned Citizens Committee were able to stop the freeway. After the freeway project was halted, Jeanette May continued to work with the Alternate to I-335 Land Use Committee to repurpose the cleared land. May also ran for First Ward city council in 1977.
13.75 Linear Feet (7 boxes, 24 binders)
Language of Materials
The records of Jeanette May were by Jeanette May on January 2, 2009, as accession 2009.03.
- Minneapolis (Minn.) -- Politics and government
- Northeast Community (Minneapolis, Minn.) -- History.
- Saint Anthony East Neighborhood (Minneapolis, Minn.)
- City planning -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis.
- Community organization -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis -- Citizen participation.
- Express highways -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis -- Planning.
- Land use -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis -- Planning.
- Political candidates -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis
- Political participation -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis.
- Women in community organization -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis.
- Women in politics -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis.
- Jeanette May Papers
- Sehri Strom
- June 2009
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.