Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood Association Records
Description of Contents
The Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood Association (MHNA) records contain general and board of directors meeting minutes, notes, memorandas, fliers, membership information, administrative and financial documents, correspondence, project and subject files, print photographs, VHS cassettes, and publications created or compiled by the MHNA.
Records are divided into General Series, Neighborhood Revitalization Program (NRP), Projects and Subject Files, and Media. Records contain extensive history of the St. Anthony and East Hennepin neighborhoods. There are multiple studies and surveys focusing on the Marcy-Holmes neighborhood’s relationship to the University of Minnesota and Dinkytown businesses.
Additional descriptive information is included at the beginning of each series.
- Creation: 1892 - 2013
- Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood Association (Minneapolis, Minn.) (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections at Minneapolis Central Library during the department's open hours.
Formed in the 1880s as The East Side Improvement Association, and then as the University District Improvement Association in 1948, the Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood Association (MHNA) officially incorporated with its current title in 1981.
The MHNA consists of residents from the Marcy-Holmes neighborhood and is led by an elected board of directors. Their purpose is “to engage in projects that improve and enhance the community life and social welfare in the Marcy-Holmes neighborhood.” (History and Development Goals, 1988-1990). Their community initiatives included historic restoration loans, road and bridge projects, environmental stewardship projects, and neighborhood events.
The neighborhood is bordered on the south by the Mississippi River, to the east by the University of Minnesota and 15th Avenue Southeast, to the north by the railroad tracks that separate it from the Como Neighborhood, and to the west by Central Avenue. Marcy-Holmes also houses four major historic districts: the Fifth Street Southeast Historic District, St. Anthony Falls Historic District, University of MN Greek Letter Chapter House Historic District, and Dinkytown Commercial Historic District.
5.82 Linear Feet (12 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection was donated by the Marcy Holmes Neighborhood Association in September 2017 as accession 2017.13 and by Brad Bellows in October 2020 as accession 2020.17. Original materials in this collection were donated at an unknown date.
This collection was originally processed at an unknown date. In March 2023, Michael Valdez reprocessed this collection by adding new accessions and relabelling files for clarity. Processing was financed in part with funds provided by the State of Minnesota from the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund through the Minnesota Historical Society.
- City planning -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis.
- Community development -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis.
- Community organization -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis.
- Urban renewal -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis -- History.
- Marcy Holmes Neighborhood Association Records
- Michael Valdez
- March 2023
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.