Minneapolis Kennel Club Records
Description of Contents
The collection includes MKC Newsletter (1956-1968), member’s rosters (1942-1964, incomplete), miscellaneous papers, scrapbook of newspaper clippings (1933-1963), and several dog show photos.
- Creation: 1933 - 1968
- Minneapolis Kennel Club (Organization)
The collection is available for use in Special Collections at Minneapolis Central Library during the department's open hours.
The Minneapolis Kennel Club (MKC) started on October 23, 1933. Their mission: “…further the advancement of all breeds of purebred dogs, to advance the interests of dog shows and obedience trials, and to encourage sportsmanship at such events.” Founding board of directors included Edwin L. Pickhardt, Charles B. Owen, Roger B. Stahn, Paul M. Kroeger, Russell C. Rosenquest, Harold R. Ward, and Maurice L. Baker. The first MKC dog show took place at the Minneapolis Auditorium in downtown Minneapolis on April 21, 1934. Subsequent venues included Ft. Snelling Polo Grounds, 1934; MN State Fair Grounds, 1936; Minneapolis Aquatennial parade grounds, 1941; and Minneapolis Radisson Hotel, 1947.
The shows, membership, and frequency of events grew as the years went on. Moreover, the MKC expanded into projects other than dog shows to help promote the well-being and betterment of dog breeds. Projects included scholarship funds to University of Minnesota students interested in small animal husbandry programs and donation programs to the Hennepin County Humane Society, American Kennel Club Dog Museum, Canine Defense Fund and other organizations.
2 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
Olav Wallo, a long-time member of MKC, donated this particular collection as a gift. Accession 2000.08.
- Minneapolis Kennel Club Records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hennepin County Library Special Collections Repository
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis MN 55401 U.S.A.